Re: (TV) You know, reading this list hasn't been half as fun since last Tuesday...

In message <006001c1418f$df68ca40$e209bbd0@olcsvary>, Michael Olcsvary
<olcsvary@icehouse.net> writes
>As Maurice said, a lot of things haven't been as much fun. I lived in the
>Northeast until I moved to Seattle a year ago and have strong ties and many
>friends in the NYC area, none of whom were anywhere near the WTC last
>Tuesday (and I'll always be grateful to whatever powers there were for
>that).  While I agree that such an horrific act must be responded to, I have
>some doubts about the way things are moving.  The most distasteful:  the
>airlines immediately looking for a handout, the layoffs occurring (wouldn't
>the most patriotic thing to do be to keep people working at a time like
>this?) and Michael Jackson seizing the moment to announce the recording of a
>tribute song.
>Come to think of it, the worst thing to happen to Afghanistan would be for
>us to come in and stomp the country flat (given it's current condition and
>allowing for a lack of nuclear and biological weapons - something that's by
>no means certain - it might take a weekend if no one breaks for lunch),
>since historically, after we do stomp someone flat, we help them rebuild -
>and thoroughly change the culture in the process.  I wonder if the Taliban
>has considered the ramifications of a Starbucks or McDonald's in Kabul
Sorry to quote the whole thing but, as someone who lives a lot closer to
Afghanistan than Pres. Bush, this may just be the most sensible thing
from America I've seen all week.