Re: (TV) Re: OT: You know, reading this list hasn't been half as fun since last Tuesday...

At 10:49 PM -0700 9/20/01, Michael Olcsvary wrote:
I'm well aware of the horrible conditions in
Afghanistan - the average life expectancy is 40, nothing's been rebuilt, and
an average woman's lot there is beyond awful.

I agree with this and the rest of your points--we do need to take the terrorists out of circulation, but bombing the hell out of Afghanistan's already suffering people isn't the way to do it. (Bin Laden's people are either a) in hiding, well insulated from any visible "target" or b) spread throughout the general population. Probably a mix of both.) Reports suggest the administration's split between Powell's go-slow approach and Cheney's, um, more aggressive approach. I'm hoping the slower, more careful one wins out, or we run the risk of becoming Bin Laden's recruitment poster. Do I have answers, though? No.

FWIW, I found this photo essay of Afghani life enlightening: http://csmonitor.com/slideshows/lifeinkabul/slide1.html

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/