(TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #503

i'm back again, and i've changed my mind. the drums aren't really my beef, and
a live sound isn't really what i think is sorely lacking, but it's the effects
verlaine uses on his guitar that irks me, and by these i mean any that alter
the uneffected clean gtr tone. it's frustrating cuz his playing stands so
goddamn well on it's own, w/out the "aid" of any tone tricks. he's probably the
only person i can forgive for using that srv-overdrive tone. really, on "the
scientist writes a letter" the effects get a little out of hand, and most
anywhere that he uses echo and all that other shit it just seems inappropriate
and unnecessary. the effects seem to downplay, and even mock, the sheer
ingenuity and beauty of his playing. i'm mainly talking about "cover"
and "flashlight"(which i also think is one of his best), but these issues exist
for me, to a lesser extent, on "words from the front" and "dreamtime" too. (i
admit to not owning "the wonder", and on "warm and cool" he returns to his
stripped down sound).
however, this post by wendy's founder dave thomas quite rightly points out that
it was just the way things were produced during that wonderous era. i am aware
of this, and i realize the pointlessness of criticizing these albums
(especially on this list), because it goes nowhere and no albums are perfect. i
do think, though, that the verlaine-worship that takes place here builds these
albums up beyond where they deserve to be. although, maybe this is because they
are idiotically ignored and sadly underrated everywhere else, except here, and
people are merely making up for it. i'm talking music, though, cuz lyrically
they're all brilliant.
willie