RE: (TV) Re: clean guitar tone

From: "Martin McClellan" <martin@rosacordis.com>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Subject: RE: (TV) Re: clean guitar tone
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 20:28:43 -0700

The nasty sound you get plugging guitar straight into a tape deck has more
to do with mis-matched levels, and too many damn frequencies. Put it through a pre-amp of some sort (one that is supposed to reproduce guitar frequencies
well), and even if it's super clean it'll sound much better. Good guitar
preamps roll of nearly everything outside of the midrange, where electric
guitar kinda comes alive.

Although Edwyn Collins uses a guitar through a Colorsound Tonebender fuzzbox straight to tape for some um, interesting tones. I've tried miking an amp with a guitar running an MXR Blue Box (disgusting low-octave fuzzbox) and it sounded better going staight to tape, although it didn't sound *good* in any normal sense.

Some of the best distortion on record was done without pedals: The Sonics, early Stooges -

I think I read that the stooges used an SG - Fuzzface - 50 watt Marshall setup for the first album, I don't remember where I read it though.