Re: (TV) ELO

In a message dated 10/13/2001 12:54:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
raggedglory57@hotmail.com writes:

> All bow to the return of the Mighty Lynne
> and hail a truly unique visionary in the history of rock 'n roll."

Gee ... a promotional blurb from a label pushing a tribute album pays high
praise to the artist in question. How odd. What did you expect? "Here's our
new tribute album that pays homage to a guy we think is a no-talent hack"?

OK ... maybe that would've been an unusual campaign.

Is Lynne / ELO heavily influenced by the Beatles? Sure. Obviously. No
question.

Was Lynne trying to mold ELO as a "Beatles replacement" of sorts? I don't see
that. The Beatles used string arrangements on occasion, but obviously their
work was way more varied than that. Lynne and Wood picked up on the string
arrangements and ran with the concept, trying to integrate 'em in to the
band's sound.

The early albums are pretty unusual. NO ANSWER and ELO II are a whole lot
closer to "prog rock" than they are to Beatlesque pop. Granted, Lynne's
writing went more pop oriented, and that's when the hits came.

Certainly not saying anyone here has to like 'em (except me, natch), and I
certainly am not surprised that's there's not a lot of intersection between
the set of Television fans and the set of ELO fans, but come on ... please
don't tell me anyone's surprised that the makers of a tribute CD would be big
fans. Come on.

       -- Owen, who plans to buy the tribute album.

PS: "The William Shatner of production"? Oh come on ... yeah, Lynne's
production style is heavy-handed, but William Shatner? Ouch.

Owen Gwilliam
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg
http://shadowy.brainiac.com (The Shadowy Site On A Shadowy Web)

"Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he's [a
jerk], you've got his shoes and you're a mile away"
    -- Rev. Billy C. Wirtz