(TV) coming from matador....

hello:: clipped the following from a matador records mail-out....
william

Richard Hell -- New Release of Old and Unheard Material Coming in 2002

In early 2002, Matador will be release an as-yet untitled double CD of

recordings by Richard Hell & The Voidoids.  Hell, a founding member of

the Neon Boys, Television, and the Heartbreakers, before forming the

Voidoids in 1976, is a crucial voice in American music and literature.

Credited by many as one of the originators of the punk movement, songs

such as "Blank Generation," "Love Comes In Spurts," "The Kid With The

Replaceable Head," and "Time" are amongst the finest of that or any

other era. The first Voidoids album, 'Blank Generation' (Sire, 1977)

has been cited more times than we can count as one of the most

influential of its time. The following commentary on Blank Generation

is from Lester Bangs:

"Richard Hell identifies with no movement, with few people in fact. If

you listen between the sonic blasts, his music is about a sense of

aloneness beyond the old alienated antihero syndrome, but before that

Richard Hell is a rocker. The music on this album is some of the

strongest, truest rock & roll I have heard in ages. Like most great

rock & roll, it stands alone; there are influences, not all of them

musical and many of them literary, but he is no arty poseur, in fact

this is also some of the most honest music I have heard in some time.

As we trail out of the age of artifice (I don't think I have to mention

any names), artifice itself rides on the coattails of most of those who

proclaim themselves an alternative. Richard Hell is different. I hear

echoes in this record of rock & roll from time immemorial, and they are

not contrived, they are rather the modus of a plain-speaking kid with

an awesome intelligence and a great pain to speak plainly of... The

toughness of the music is just defensive armor, courtesy the

searchlight-destructive tag-team of Robert Quine and Ivan Julian on

guitars. In this album they have slashed out some of the most fitfully

dangerous rock & roll I've heard this decade. If you think I say that

lightly you don't know me. But at the center is Hell himself, his own

ninth circle, pretending to be blank when his every move and word

reveals a naked, impassioned intelligence in the throes of the only

truly rock & roll artistic convulsion, which is to be driven so far

into and paradoxically, simultaneously outside of yourself that you

create as a matter of frenzy, instead of lowering your eyelids before

the world in shame and loneliness."

The forthcoming double CD will consist of the following :

Disc One

(the bulk of this CD was previously

available on the ROIR cassette 'RIP')

Heartbreakers -- 1975 (Hell, Thunders, Nolan, Lure)

1. Love Comes In Spurts

2. Chinese Rocks (unavailable on the ROIR version)

3. Can't Keep My Eyes On You

4. Hurt Me

Voidoids 1977 (Hell, Robert Quine, Ivan Julian, Marc Bell)

5. I'm Your Man

6. Betrayal Takes Two

Voidoids 1979 (Hell, Quine, Julian, Xavier, Morrison)

7. Crack Of Dawn

8. Ignore That Door

9. I Live My Life

10. Going Going Gone

Voidoids 1983 (Hell, Paumgardhen, Freeman, Wood, live in Atlanta)

11. Funhunt (not on ROIR version)

12. I can Only Give You Everything

Hell In New Orleans, 1984

13. I Been Sleepin' On It

14. Cruel Way To go Drown

15. The Hunter Was Drowned

16. Hey Sweetheart

Disc Two

(previously unreleased live recordings)

Richard Hell And The Voidoids

Live at Music Machine, London 1977

1. Intro

2. Love Comes In Spurts

3. Liars Beware

4. You Gotta Lose

5. Lose Yourself

6. New Pleasure

7. Walking On the Water

8. The Plan

9 . Blank Generation

10. I Wanna Be Your Dog

11. Vacancy

12. Venilator Blues

Richard Hell & The Voidoids --

Live At CBGB, New York, NY 1978

St. Mark's Church Poetry Project Benefit, FM Broadcast

13. Kid With The Replaceable Head

14. Don't Die

15. You Gotta Lose (with Elvis Costello)

16. Shattered

There might still be a change or 2 to disc one, but we'll let you know.

Disc two -- whatever it might lack in terms of "production value," it

more than makes up for in the performances. This is no mere historical

artifact. Nothing against historical artefacts, but this sounds pretty

devastating in on the brink of 2002.

'Hot & Cold', a huge collection of Richard Hell's non-fiction essays,

poetry, song lyrics, notebooks and drawings, has just been published by

powerHouse books (http://www.powerhousebooks.com). You can order it

from Amazon or you can think about it for a minute or 2 and order a

signed copy instead from Richard's website (http://www.richardhell.com)