Re: (TV) OT: Favorite Halloween rock and roll

At 2:17 PM -0800 10/31/01, Russ Van Rooy wrote:
Greetings Ghouls and Goblins !
Just wondering what the listers like to listen to that might have a
Halloween bent ?

This isn't rock 'n' roll, but it is Hallowe'en: we just got back from the Alloy Orchestra (a trio, actually; one of the members is ex-Mission of Burma/ex-Birdsongs of the Mesozoic renaissance man Roger Miller) doing a live soundtrack to Murnau's _Nosferatu_. Deeply creepy and amazing. You can't watch this film silent, as the acting is that particular flavor of '20s-era overblownness. It needs an intense soundtrack that occasionally hits even more intense peaks, and that's what we got. Flowing piano, simulated strings, musical saw, chimes, and sheet metal scraping, along with more conventional drums and percussion toys. Highly recommended--they're on tour right now. http://www.alloyorchestra.com/tour.schedule.html

Roger, btw, is in fine form. I remember thinking at one point, "This is definitely the same guy who wrote 'Waterwheel.'" Well done.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/