Re: (TV) the future is swedish, the past is...

At 11:31 AM +0000 11/8/01, Raymond wrote:
This list is dying on its feet at the minute - has this something to do with
the fact that there's only so much we can say about TV without boring each
other to death?

Thanks for the rec's, Ray; I'll keep my eyes open.

The list dying on its feet? Better than dying on its knees, I'd say. Actually, I thought of this lull as one of those occasional pauses one has in group conversations. (I need the pause myself--got a huge deadline for Saturday, followed by a set I really need to have some new material for.)

What I've been listening to? A lot of 'net radio, particularly that Dr. Yo station (http://www.dr-yo.com/radio/index.html) which has reminded me of how influential Fred Frith's two Ralph albums (I think we're talking '78-'80 here) were for me, _Gravity_ and _Speechless_. Very odd meters, many of them drawn from European folk music, resulting in long, complex lines. And despite the folk roots, there's a relentless experimentalism about them too, with the incorporation of found tapes, radical edits, and intriguing combinations of live and studio playing (this is more true of _Speechless_, but _Gravity_ shows some of this, too). Each album benefits from a sense of grace, wit and gentleness in many places, juxtaposed with aggressive sonic assaults. (He *was* playing in Massacre at the time.)

Going back into the past in other listening, I've been leaning heavily on the Ryko CD collection of early Birdsongs of the Mesozoic--gorgeous stuff from the Roger and Martin period.

Other stuff: Kid A has indeed grown on me--not the radical tear-your-head-off incomprehensible experimental time bomb some of the reviews suggest, certainly, but a really nice record. And what I've heard of the new Bjork (on 'net radio) is pretty interesting, as well.

What are the rest of y'all listening to?
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/