re:(TV) (OT)The Strokes--Is This It/The problem with hype...

> Then, there will be a second group induced by the
> tossed around refernces to the Velvet Underground,
> Television and similar ilk

sort of an abstract reply, but as they are quoted in "Guitar Magazine"

"Hammond:  if anything, we sound like The Ramones, guitar-wise.  We have
that mean (?) guitar sound. But I got influenced by a bunch of weird
people - Buddy Holly,  I really like the way George Harrison plays leads,
Elliot Easton from The Cars... I really hate naming names, but I'd rather
name names than have people say we sound like Television.

Valensi:   I'd never heard Television until people said we sounded like them
and when I heard them I didn't like them.  They've got no balls in their
playing (?). But I do like the idea of two guitars dancing around each
other, though"

ok, sure.  They also mention getting pretty high/drunk when they play, so
maybe they really haven't heard themselves yet.  But how could they say that
they sound "mean" and think that Television's playing "has no balls."
Friction alone is tougher than anything on Is This It (New York Cops
included).

But don't get me wrong, its not like they have to love Television or
anything ;-)

-Chris (...still looking for a pristine cut of Excitement)