Re: (TV) Round-up

At 10:04 PM +0000 12/21/01, Keith Allison wrote:
I know this year has seen some appalling things, and this is not to make
light of them, but what have you really enjoyed listening to in 2001?

Hive mind strikes again, Keith! I was just writing this to post to the list, although admittedly it's more in the vein of musical associations with this year:

--

I'm seeing a lot of "best of 2001" lists everywhere, which really doesn't reflect how people experience music and culture--who really just listens to stuff that was released in the current year? This got me thinking about music and events that will be associated with this year for me, and I'm curious to hear others' opinions about what shaped the year for them. Here's my list in chronological order, with some notes:

Thelonious Monk: _The Complete Riverside Recordings_. I used to get this set out of the library when I was broke. Then somebody got it out and never returned it. Years passed, and I finally had a chance to buy it. Amazing stuff from start to finish.

Digging the mighty bass tone and rich arrangements of _Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus_.

Muddy Frankenstein, Japan's answer to the MC5 and Mitch Ryder. _Dance with Evil_ is actually a really kick-ass CD.

Joey.

Obsessively playing Greg Grant's _The Disappearance_ over and over while I was finishing up some projects in late April.

Silkworm's _Lifestyle_, particularly Tim Midgett's song "Dead Air," which was on repeat in my head a lot, but particularly on out of town trips.

FINALLY getting to see Television live at the Metro in Chicago (review is up on my redesigned/recoded site), and also meeting up with several of our list members there. It was good, and having heard a recording of the show, I can say that my recollections were pretty accurate. And it was great meeting people from the list face to face _and_ getting a chance to hang out after the show. (Not with the band, alas, but the list members were just as much fun, if not more.)

Picking up the Coctails' _Peel_ on a whim, and finding out that it's a brilliant little pop album. Highly recommended.

Seeing Richard Thompson at a free outdoor show, in a downpour. The audience stood completely still for the whole thing.

Listening to Big Star throughout the summer (including blasting some selected tunes in the car on vacation), and catching Alex Chilton's live show in October.

Meat Puppets II and the Wipers

Picking up the first two CDs by the Band, which helped me through September.

Getting to hear _Apocalypse Now_ in 5-channel in a theater. No other movie sounds like that.

KOMPRESSOR, a hilarious parody of the techno/industrial genre. http://www.ampcast.com/kompressor (Recommended: "...does not dance," "K is for...," and "We Must Destroy X-10")

Being reminded of a number of things from my vinyl collection that I haven't listened to in quite a while (like Fred Frith's _Speechless_), courtesy of Dr. Yo's 'net radio broadcasts. (http://www.dr-yo.com/)

The Alloy Orchestra's mighty live soundtrack to Murnau's _Nosferatu_.

Finding a source of stylii for my cartridge! Check out http://www.needledoctor.com/ (Yes, yes--it sounds like a tattoo parlor, but it isn't.)

Managing to borrow _As Long as There's Music_, by Charlie Haden and Hampton Hawes. A deeply moving, elegant disc. And those of you who have been around long enough may recall that it was one of my candidates for the "one last listen" thread a few years back.

Doing a bunch of live shows myself this year, which somehow still seems amazing to me. (Boiling these down now to CD-length.) And contributing a track for the tribute CD, which was a lot of fun also.

So are other people's musical memories of  2001?

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/