(TV) Ramblings, incl. "There are guitar sounds on 'Cover' that simply haven't been heard before, sounds no synthesizer is ever likely to produc e."

Some Potential New Topics:

Possible Influence of U.K.'s New Romantic
Movement on 'Cover's' Production Qualities?
/ 'Cover' Should Be Seen In the Context of
TV's Failed Attempt To Cross Commercial
Barrier? / "Tainted Love" Versus "Days On
The Mountain" / 2 Reviews incl. a Verlaine
NY Times Interview

>The only TV solo album I don't have now
>is Cover. >Any comments on that album
before I buy it Keith?

Keith replied: >It's fab!-although there are
>those on the list who will disagree with me.

Maurice replied: >I stand by my opinion "good
>songs, great playing, distracting drum
>machine and sibilance" opinion.  Definitely
>worth having.

Raymond replied: >Just don't get me started
about "words from the front" and "cover" again!

Leo says: With apologies to Raymond, I totally
agree with Keith and Maurice--it's worth the
effort needed to get by some mediocre production
values, e.g., it's use of an early prototype of
drum machine in places.

But at the risk of appearing to be an apologist
for some of Cover's aural sins, to be fair maybe
it should be considered within the musical
context of it's release year, late 1984, when
the New Romantics ruled the airwaves and charts.
Remember that around 1982-85 synth/electro pop
was quite the big thing ---especially in London
where Verlaine was living and recording
I believe roughly 9 months 1984).  Groups such
as Depeche Mode, New Order, Simple Minds, Human
League, Duran Duran, etc. dominated. [note: I'm
not claiming I musically approved of the New
Romantics; I actually hated them except for
some of New Order's soulful stuff].

My take on 'Cover' has always been that it's
production/choice of drum machine (and
synthesizers?)was somewhat inluenced by the
pervasive sounds or trend of this period as
well as by a more tangible attempt by
Verlaine to write and produce songs that
were more poppy, relatively shorter
[I believe they're all less than 4:30), and
catchy, i.e., the closest he ever came to
deliberately trying to write music that
might appeal to more of the mass audience.
[Verclempt! Verclempt!---Discuss/disagree
with this hypothesis (blasphemy?).]

This peculiar strain in Verlaine's music
actually first appeared on his previous album,
"Words From The Front", in the form of "Days
on The Mountain."  This particular song's
synthesizers have unfortunately always
reminded me of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love"
---albeit these two songs' lyrics couldn't
be more of polar opposites, with lyrics like
Verlaine's "... Our clothes always clean ..."
In Verlaine's concerts during this era, his
drummer, Jay Dee Daugherty, had a kit/set-up
that also controlled/created the now dreaded
drum machine parts.  But the reason I always
hated it when Tom would perform this song live
was that at 18-20 minutes it ate up so much of
his set that it forced the elimination of many
of the better songs in his repertoire.

Now the above isn't to say that there still
aren't some exquisite and breathtaking guitar
heroics on Cover--"5 Miles Of You",
"Dissolve/Reveal" and (at least on 'Cover's
American version) "Lindi Lu"---their guitars
certainly do it for me.

See also below (especially Keith) from my
yellowed, dog-eared TV archives.

Final rambling: I always thought it was
tragic that Tom couldn't afford to hire a piano
(maybe meven electric organ/keyboards) player
on his tours in the 1980s---are you able to
imagine a live version of "Kingdom Come" with
Tom on guitar and someone else (Paul Carrack
maybe?) playing Tom's organ parts?  That way he
could flesh-out in concert some his songs like
Dreamtime's extended version of "Always".
I always thought his use of keyboards
(synthesizers?!!?)on Dreamtime was done in
such a tasteful and effective manner
(dare I even use the word 'romantically'?),
and that this song with some music biz push
and airplay could have been a  commercial hit.
----------------------------------

[Both reviewers below refer to TV as
'Mr. Verlaine', which may seem strange
(or simply be a NY Timesism), but I think
it shows how seriously they took him as
an artist.]

NY Times, Dec 19, 1984: The Pop Life
by Robert Palmer

"New Album, 'Cover' From Tom Verlaine

Rock performers who write their own songs and
have put in time mastering their craft often
find themselves bored and short on ideas after
spending 5 or 10 years making records, touring,
making another record, and going off on another
tour, in an apparently endless and often
numbing cycle.  Tom Verlaine, who has made only
four albums since the breakup of his pioneering
New Wave band Television in 1978, doesn't have
this problem.

"I can't remember ever being *really* bored,"
Mr. Verlaine said the other day, having returned
to New York from an extended European sojourn to
prepare for two performances at the Ritz tomorrow
and Friday.  "I find life very interesting,
actually.  I think some other musicians are always
looking for something to give them an idea, but I
find I have to reject 90 percent of my ideas
because they don't live up to some self-imposed
standard.  That's also why I don't make a record
once a year.  I throw so many things out, and I
have to have something to say."

Mr. Verlaine's new album, 'Cover'(Warner Brothers),
his first since 1982's "Words From The Front", is
his strongest, most consistent record since the
glory days of Television.  That band attracted a
rapt following in the mid-70s by playing New York
clubs like CBGBs along-side contemporaries such as
Blondie, Talking Heads and especially Patti Smith,
the punk poetess who gave Mr. Verlaine his first
exposure on records.  While other bands dealt in
concise song structures and abrasive energy,
Television often jammed for 10 or 20 minutes at
a stretch, led by Mr. Verlaine's lyrical
curling guitar lines.  The guitar sound of
Mr. Verlaine and Richard Lloyd developed together
in Television has inspired an entire generation
of young bands, especially in Britain, where Mr.
Verlaine spent much of 1984. But Mr. Verlaine
himself has moved on. The songs on 'Cover' are
compressed evocations of place and mood, laced
with luminous, interlocking guitar parts that
seem to float in space and only briefly erupt
into anything that could be called a solo.

Though the songs on "Cover" telegraph vivid
pictorial imagery, they also have a shimmering,
dream-like quality.  Like many of his favorite
authors and poets -- Arthur Rimbaud, Blaise
Cendars, the Persian Sufi poet Rumi -- Mr.
Verlaine closely monitors his dreams.  "I think
keeping a dream record is a really worthwhile
pursuit," he said.  "The other night I was
reading a dream I had in 1983, and I was
astounded because what it had in it was
something that came true, in a very real sense,
a week ago.  Sometimes I hear melodies, rhythms
and things in my dreams, really wild stuff that
the conscious mind would never have come up with.
I wake up and hum it into a tape recorder."

Some of the music on 'Cover' suggests a
quieter sort of vision.  "I hear the raindrops
splashing on the leaves," he sings in
'O Foolish Heart,' a song he said he imagined
in a Southern setting.  "And the tapping of a
branch on my windowpane, somehow is ravishing my
sense of time ..."  Displays of heroic guitar
prowess would be out of place on a record like
this, but Mr. Verlaine's  tapestry of interwoven
guitar motifs is equally entralling in its more
introspective way.  There are guitar sounds on
'Cover' that simply haven't been heard before,
sounds no synthesizer is ever likely to produce.

Mr. Verlaine went to England earlier this year
to mix the record, and found himself staying.
\"I found it very easy to write there, I
found I was getting a lot done," he noted.
"A guy I met who's become my manager asked
me to produce a new band, the Room, and when
the rumor that I was producing got around
over there, I got barraged with tapes.  So I
ended up staying for a while, got offered a
tour, which I did, and then I spent six weeks
in Paris, which I liked an awful lot. One thing
this whole experience made me want to do was to
develop melody a lot more on the new record, in
terms of the guitar parts, as well as the
vocals.  There is such a history of melody in
Europe.  I'm going to try to spend around six
months of every year there."

Mr. Verlaine's shows at the Ritz this week
will feature three longtime associates from
 the New York scene, all of whom  play
on 'Cover':  the bassist Fred Smith,
originally with Television; the drummer
Day Dee Daugherty, from the original
Patti Smith Group; and the imaginative,
resourceful guitarist Jimmy Ripp.
And what of his next album?  "Well," he
said, "it might have more guitar solos.
I know it will be different."
--------------------------------

NY Times, December 25, 1984 ROCK: Tom Verlaine

by John Pareles

Tom Verlaine has been acclaimed as one of
rock's finest guitarists  since he led the
band Television in the late 1970s.  Now,
he has decided to make a case for his
songwriting.  On his new album, 'Cover',
his tunes are stripped down to guitar
riffs, drumbeats and short lines of lyrics.
Mr. Verlaine kept those songs terse and
percussive when he brought his band to the
Ritz last weekend.

Most of Mr. Verlaine's lyrics are surreal,
dreamlike narratives.  At times, his song
structures have attempted to reflect that
flow, growing too diffuse for their own
good; they would also dissolve for
exploratory guitar solos.  Onstage
Saturday, however, Mr. Verlaine allowed
himself extended solos only in a few older
songs and in an encore, the Count Five's
"Psychotic Reaction." Those solos,
particularly a raga-like foray in
Television's "Marquee Moon," were as strong
as ever.

Mr. Verlaine's newer songs are guitar
showcases.  They center on overlapping
guitar riffs, played by Mr. Verlaine and
Jimmy Ripp, that peal, screech, tingle
and sigh.  Mr. Verlaine sings in a shaky,
occasionally strangulated tenor -- an
expressive voice that may be an acquired
taste for the majority of rock fans.  Yet
the tunes of Mr. Verlaine's songs are not
in his vocals, but in those guitar  riffs,
and they are memorable ones.

Mr. Verlaine didn't take his riffs for
granted.  While Fred Smith on bass, Jay Dee
Daugherty on drums and Mr. Ripp played
steady rhythm patterns, Mr. Verlaine
continually reshaped  his part of the
counterpoint, slipping new ideas between
the lines.

Like a jazz musician, Mr. Verlaine tested and
illuminated his songs.  He added high, ringing
harmonics to the finale of "Let Go the Mansion,"
and answered his vocal lines in "O Foolish Heart"
with phrases in a shimmering vibrato.

At other points in the set, there were moments
that recalled  rock's finest guitar-centered
bands, from the Jimi Hendrix Experience to the
Who to the Allman Brothers Band  to Television.
But there was no gratuitous doodling.  Even with
Mr. Verlaine's improvisations, the songs were
skeletal.  Beyond that, they showed an
intelligence, and a willingness to take risks,
that is too rare in current rock.

[I was lucky enough to attend this show with an
American friend from Guatemala; the reviewer is
not overstating his case.]

	 Leo