Re: (TV) Clarification / Fixated on a Tree / The MM List Blues / Past

Leo wrote:

Jesse responded:
No, it's a NY Timesism. At that time
and perhaps still today; I haven't
been checking - it was NY Times
style to "Mr." or "Ms." everybody
and anybody.

Yes, I'll grant you I was dead wrong
that it was just a idiosyncratic of the
Times; however, regarding your
"I think it shoots your "taking seriously
as an artist" hypothesis out of the water!

I think you're being a bit harsh.

Sorry if you felt that way, Leo. I intended it as a _very_ light tease, directed more at Meat Loaf than anyone else.

OK, I admit it, I was more than a
little disappointed at the reaction
to my last post (but then I'm sure most
of us occasionally feel that way about
the reactions --or lack thereof--we get).
I take the time to type up this quite long
interview and review (with a few outri?
comments of my own).  A freakin' interview
that contained a few new nuggets about
TV's song writing and melody construction
process, which I thought might be somewhat interesting and provoke some comments--
and what is the response: 4? retorts
(excepting Gregg Luvoxx's) that totally
fixate on a sentence of mine (albeit
pretty stupid as originally written), but
real content of post.  Talk about not
seeing the forest for the trees!

Now I think _you're_ being harsh (though I'm not in any way hurt by it). Your post contained an implicit question about why Tom was called Mr. Verlaine in the New York Times pieces you kindly posted; several of us knew the answer to that question, so we supplied it. (The redundancy probably has something to do with the fact that I and perhaps others get the digest, so we don't immediately know whether a question has been answered.) We weren't "neglecting the actual content of the post," just dealing with part of it that we could respond to simply and briefly.

As for the actual content, I appreciated reading it, but I didn't have anything deep to say about in response. And like many of us, I'm sure, I've got other obligations (like my doctoral dissertation research) that don't make it possible for me to write long posts very often. Doesn't mean we don't appreciate those who do make the effort. We're all Television fans here, and I assume we all take them pretty seriously, in the sense that we all believe they're worthy of serious listening and writing.

- Jesse