(TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #568

Hm...me, I'm just getting into the Scientists, an Aussie band from (primarily) the eighties who sound like a slight cross between the Cramps and the Birthday Party. Just downloads so far, and it's not ALL gold, but the track "Fire Escape" is really enjoyable. Also got the whole of the Peter Laughner compilation TAKE THE GUITAR PLAYER FOR A RIDE via AudioGalaxy, along with some genuinely awful, bastardized acoustic covers where he substitutes his own awful lyrics...among then "Venus DeMilo" and "Blank Genration"! Good for a laugh, I guess.

Other than that, I'm stuck in a rut. Got the whole Big Star catalog around/through Xmas, finally copied the Television Portland boot off my buddy Mark while I was home, been wanting to check out the Godz but I've got no real idea where to start, and I've been tryin' so hard to remember the name of this English band from (I think) the mid-sixties which I accidentally stumbled across on Amazaon; some customer reviews championed them as precursors to punk ("in ways more important than the Velvets!" and similar hype-isms, their album had a black cover, but I can't remember their name for the life of me... Help/suggestions appreciated.

Incidentally, I *DID* listen to the Stooges "L.A. Blues" for the first time in about a year last night. Big deal, I know, but it was at this place on Armitage (here in Chicago) called Street Side, which is this funny slightly yupster bar/cafe but which has good food, good service, appropriately dim lighting, AND a killer jukebox. Oh, the joy of seeing a girl in her mid-twenties w/ emo glasses put her hands to her ears...

-nick keiser

(Oh, and for Nick Powell's benefit, and to avoid confusion in as many ways/shape/forms as possible, my name will now be signed as above from this point forward.)