Re: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since the holidays?

>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:18:31 -0800
>From: "Russ Van Rooy" <russvr@blarg.net>
>Subject: Re: (TV) OT: Listening to anything new since >the holidays?
>
>Butthole Surfers -  Electriclarryland (1996) These >guys are great  ! Very
>psychedelic in parts.

Geh. They're really not as good as they used to be. WAY too much beat/sampling stuff going on these days; if you love Electriclarryland, you'll like their new one, Weird Revolution, but if you want to hear some REALLY weird, psyched/cracked-out sounding stuff, I'd reccomend picking up Locust Abortion Technician and their debut 12" EP (original issue s/t, reissuse called Brown Reason to Live; still in-print on Alternative Tentacles). Those two recordings basically confirm everything about that Michael Azzerads' book _Our Band Could Be Your Life_ says about lead singer Gibby Haynes' drug intake over the years...but they're still good fun. Especially in the case of the debut: how can you NOT like a recording that starts off with a squeal of feedback followed by Haynes yelling "There's a time to fuck/and a time to crave/but the Shah sleeps in Lee Harvey's graaaaaave!"?

(more serious list members: please don't answer that!) ;)

-nick keiser