RE: (TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #590

"eRacerX" <eracerx@va.prestige.net> wrote:
> I guess I never had a really good turntable, because I still hear things on
> CD that I never could discern before, and I've checked sometimes against the
> records...yeah, it's in there... buried in the mix, but there.

This is something I forgot to mention!  I am a huge fan of the comedy
troupe The Firesign Theatre.  These 4 or 5 crazy guys were (and are)
masters of using the recording studio as an instrument, and their
multi-layered recordings meant many fun nights for stoned college students
trying to eke out one more subtle funny from the mix.  I thought I knew
their stuff backwards and forwards - until I got the stuff on CD.  All of
a sudden, there was a whole new layer (or two or three) that I'd never
heard before on vinyl.

Maybe it was the remastering, maybe it was the blessed relief of finally
ditching the RIAA EQ curve; all I know is that the CDs sound an order
of magnitude clearer than the vinyl ever did.

The "warmth" of vinyl (or of tube amplification, for that matter) is a
subjective thing.  I could argue that in a stereo, it's an unwanted
colorization of the reproduction, but if it sounds good to the person
using it, great!  (And that colorization is a definite plus when it comes
to guitar amps :)

> Joe - maybe after there are 5 tributes, we could re-release the box set on
> vinyl...?
>  we need at least one TV tribute a year, I still have not contributed.

I'd hate to think that we are that much more prolific than the band
we admire so :)