Re: (TV) Cover Art/Mapplethorpe

At 7:34 AM -0500 3/8/02, Run35@aol.com wrote:
With Robert Mapplethorpe the photographer how could you go wrong.
I think the cover of Adventure is a work of Art.

I really do like the cover of Adventure (Gerrit van der Meer, I think), but I love the cover of Marquee Moon--the color shifts and graininess of the color Xerox are just exquisite. And I'll admit that for a few years I thought of Mapplethorpe as "the guy who did the Marquee Moon cover...wonder what he's up to these days." (This, of course, was before the NEA/Jesse Helms controversies...)

Other good ones in the canon: Words from the Front, Flash Light, Warm and Cool. Spinning completely OT, some of the best cover art I've seen recently has been from Thingmakers (they did JRLP's first three discs) and Steve Byram (doing covers for Tim Berne's Screwgun releases). And let's have a moment of silence for Fireproof Press (beautiful letterpress covers for Shellac, June of '44, Tortoise, many others).
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/