(TV) atp-la - one word: Jicks!

Royce Hall is a big beautiful auditorium better suited to the ballet.

5.45 - 6.20 quixotic - missed this
6.40 - 7.15 Christina Rosenvinge - very nice soft pop singer
7.35 - 8.10 Ikue Mori, Kim Gordon, Jim O'Rourke, DJ Olive- great sounds
Ikue on a laptop just sitting there (I thought it would be funny if see
was just watchihng a DVD or something) Kim on trumpet and guitar amazing
sultry vocalizing, O'Rourke on bass fiddling with some device, very nice
8.15 - 9.15 Eddie Vedder - solo w/ukelale(!). since this was on a college
campus there was a huge rock concert like adoration response to his
moaning (standing ovation beofr note one). pretty solid playing but not
really my thing y'know?
9.30 - 10.15 Cat Power - this was the evenings higlight just alone with
an acoustic. she had us in the palm of her hand. beautiful
10.35 - 11.35 Television
the news is not good, my friends. It was an off night for our boys.
perhaps it was jetlag, maybe they didn't practice, maybe they all have
influenza, what ever the case

gear- two ac-30s tom- blonde tele, richard - black strat
very long tuning intro (didn't seem to help though)
1880 - tom's mic wasn't on for this, couldn't hear richard's guitar
Call Mr. Lee - finally turned on tom's mic halfway through, still no
richard
Prove It - finally richard, switch guitars, by this time it was an uphill
battle to get it together
Little Johnny Jewel - total disaster
Mi Amore -  noisy
Marquee Moon - finally started coming together, very long version and
then - the end

anti climatic, dissappointing, a good anecdote to a bad case of
hero-worship
one good thing is that tom did a lot of the soloing and he was in good
form as opposed to letting richard take the lead for most of it. richard
just wasnt on. the whole thing was a shambles, very sloppy and too damn
short (like that joke about the two old ladies complaining about the food
in a restaurant 'and the portions are so small'.) I'm sure it will be
much better in NY as they wont be sandwiched in between six other acts
and they'll have more time to strech out. all I have to say is Richard
better get his solo band out here at some point

12 -1am Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks - saves the day, an excellent set
of all new material (no Ess-Dog) Malk in top form playing lots of
extended solos w/ an excellent back up band