(TV) atp saturday night

first thing i'm going to say is, if you were on this list and didn't hightail it over to ackerman after television, you missed THE SHOW - the stooges tribute: ron asheton, scott asheton, mike watt and j mascis, with guest vocalists thurston moore, kim gordon, josh homme, ed vedder (surprisingly delivered 'no fun' pretty damn well - at least he wasn't fucked up out of his MIND the way homme was). this was absolutely one of my top shows ever, and definitely life-affirming. i'm writing a review, i'll post the link...

second: due to the ATP setup, i got locked out of the television show. i had to go outside to file a report online and give a friend a ticket, and i had an hour to do this post-ed vedder and pre-tv. i could not get in. i understand that eventually they DID open up all the doors and let everyone in, but i wasn't willing to take that chance. i also saw the boys at the EMP in seattle last june (was it last june? i guess...)

one of my best friends, who had been waiting and waiting and waiting to see television, he's a guitarist, he worships "marquee moon" - he GETS IT - was just shattered by how bad he felt it was. he felt it was self-indulgent, unfocused, and a big wank-fest guitar wise. he also felt that was the general crowd vibe. 10 minutes tuning when they get onstage was not helpful to carrying momentum.

anyway, someone asked about saturday night:

matts gustafson/nels cline/thurston moore/etc - was intense, but the sound sucked if you weren't right up front (a general problem with the other venue, ackerman ballroom - at least royce hall had great sound). i couldn't hear thurston AT ALL - and then i noticed the soundman behind the board fussing with wires, and then two other guys came back and had a heated discussion with him. so bad sound didn't help.

destroy all monsters - they were late and got a short set and i think i'd like them more if they had time to expand on things

califone - really interesting burrito-ish flavored country stuff, but not really that cohesive, they lost me in a few places. still, enjoyable

jackie o motherfucker - a lee ranaldo side project. this was awesome and worked, very experimental with split screens with video projections. unfortunately we left halfway through to scope out the line for the other venue for sleater-kinney at 9:45.

merzbow - i just can't get into ambient when it's one person sitting at a table with a powerbook if there's no dynamic there. it was just kind of monotonal.

sleater-kinney - all new songs, only three old songs, the new songs were excellent and i'm looking forward to the album. they were a little nervous and didn't rock out as much as they usually do, and the crowd didn't move as much as their audiences usually do. lots of folks just there to check them out as flavor of the moment kind of thing.

big star - i was ambivalent about seeing this, somehow i have managed to miss ALL the reunions, despite living in seattle home of the posies - but they did not disappoint. yes, part of it is relief that alex isn't like brian wilson, but the songs were pretty solid. they could have worked harder but i dunno, i'll spot alex chilton a few points. my guitarist friend was disappointed because he thinks alex is a great guitar player who really didn't try at this show. i'd concur.

wilco - excellent, but too long and i was too tired and they lost me towards the end. i briefly considered trying to go over and catch some of aphex twin but the line for the boredoms when we were leaving sleater-kinney was INSANE already.

i didn't go tonight - work tomorrow and all that - but was really disappointed because it was two great days of music - despite the inherent disorganization, which i hope they clear up before next year's festival. still a great atmosphere and experience.

--caryn