(TV) More on the Jaguar, the blowup and a feline metal detector

I remember (or perhaps imagine) that someone, a long
time ago, wrote a post on the list about a strange
sound that was on the blowup. They wanted to know how
to do something that tom is doing on Little Johnny
Jewel.

I can't remember if it was answered, but i do not
recall anybody taking it further.

The sound occurs twice during the tune - at the start
when there is the "Swells" and later on during the
first solo at the start of the tune when tom is doing
a swell it creeps in.

The sound is like a harmonic that tom is hitting when
his swell comes in - I am sure you are all familiar
with it - if not listen now and see!

The sound was happening on my guitar last night, and
it reminded me of this. It is really quite annoying
sometimes, and only happens on Jaguars. It was on the
13 th fret - with the treble and volume up the
"Harmonic" was more of a squeak, but was definetely
the same sound tom gets - it is most prominient on the
G string, and the ony techniqe for it is to hit the
note and bend it slightly. Let it ring and this mad
little noise comes out of where the pickups are. That
is the only way i can explain it.

I really have gone quite mad.

Anybody else had this, or wondered what it is?

I've just finished reading Zoot horn's Captain
stories. He's another guitar player like tom - keen to
shirk the hulking mediocrity of page-style rock guitar
by numbers and go out on a limb. He's great, I totally
love his mojo and the way he plays.

Slightly off topic - OK near enough completely. Tom
and the "knives". The ol' knives on the guitar trick -
here is an interesting variation for you guitar
players wanting to do something different.

My best friend and bandmate is an electronics whiz and
customises household implements into musical "tools".
We were using a metal detector to play the guitar the
other night - works a treat! Simply have a guitar
player with a single coil guitar, (we used a les paul
and it was a bit crap so out came the ol' jag) and
another person with a metal detector. Ours had a
variable knob that made it sound like a theremin when
switched on and placed near the pickups!
Woo-ooo-weee-ooo-ooo-eeee! If you are playing
something quite fast, it really sounds quite
distressing.

Needless to say it is now an integral part of the
band.

We have only one tune so far with it called "Howling
Cat" and the intro motif is done on the metal
detector! It has a circular head like a drum pad - we
were wondering if it could be "customised"!

=====