Re: (TV) Nice Village Voice Article (1979) [Ficca's playing/Yonki Time]

In message <B2D7C52AFC38D61181940004763B1B0A0CCF6F@vntmail03.volpe.dot.g
ov>, Casey, Leo J <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> writes

>  He brought rock
>and roll to CBGB, built a stage with his own hands, and helped Richard
>Hell invent punk style.

the mythologising goes on...

> I miss the rhythmic interplay, but Verlaine places his riffs
>against his own excellent rhythm playing so sharply that he almost
>makes up for it.  What they don't make up for are Lloyd's solos.

It's not that simple, though, is it?

>On the other hand, I don't miss Ficca much.

He may well be the only one, then...

>I always thought his
>jazzy moves were self-serving, overrated, and not tough enough,
>and his persistent overplaying on the cymbals was at times a noisy
>distraction, especially on the album Marquee Moon.

What nonsense. I long to hear Billy F. on every Verlaine solo release.
Perhaps we wouldn't have had _that_ 80s drum noise all over the place if
Ficca was there. (Perhaps that's why he wasn't). You only have to
see/hear the interplay/communication between Verlaine and Ficca live to
recognise the support that Ficca provides.

...it's a nice article though, although all the intellectualising in the
world can't make Yonki Time seem like anything more than a piece of
junk.