Re: (TV) Confused / Is is this a virus inside a Trojan horse

Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <002201c1f53f$a1bf5420$70837cce@russ1>, Russ Van Rooy
> <russvr@blarg.net> writes
> >What is likely that happened was that Keith opened an email ( from someone
> >not of this group ) that had some kind of script virus (worm) attached to it
>                        (snip)
> Russ, I'm not taking it personally but I _never_ open mail or
> attachments that I'm not certain of. Most of the crap I get every day is
> weeded out of the ISP's mail server with Mailwasher before it reaches my
> machine.

This virus/worm is particularly nasty because it hides its original
victim's identity by choosing a From: address from the victim's address
book, so there's no good way to let the victim know they've been infected.
In this case, it's someone who had both keith's address and the list address
in their address book, and by rare chance, it sent the message to the list
and used a list member in its From: spoofing.  This let the message actually
get distributed to the list, rather than getting blocked by the list server.
(You need to be a member to post to the list.)

In this case, the attachment-stripper prevented the infection from spreading.
Whew!

Gee, ain't ya glad that the US is running aircraft carriers using MS shite
on their computers??  *shudder*