Re: (TV) Anyone care to translate-I tried!

Hi!

Since I know some French (6 years in school) I thought I might be of some help. The Babelfish translation was actually pretty good, but sometimes the actual meaning was lost...(check the guitars- stars- part!)

 I used that translation as a starting point and changed it where I felt it was necessary. Some parts I just left as they were.
I did this quite quickly, so there are bound to be mistakes. Let me know if this is of any use. If so I could take another look at the text and come up with a better translation!

Enjoy!

New York, New York: in 1977, after several years of activity, and without
Richard Hell (who releases Blank Generation at the same time), the explosion of
punk makes it possible for Television to record its first album. It4s their best,
by far, and most representative of  New York New Wave. Like its
English cousin, this New Wave  limits its choices of  instruments,
prefers concision, and concentrates on the interpretation of the
lead singer, here the lyrical and distressed voice of Tom Verlaine, who sometimes leans
towards the androgynous, completely devoted to celebrating  life in
the Large Apple (Big Apple ;-) ).

Crystalline solos: but unlike English Punk, the total rupture with the past
is not asserted. On the contrary, Television sometimes has stonesy moments,  and does not hesitate to indulge in guitar solos. But fluid, limpid, crystalline solos.
After so many years when one did everything and anything with  guitars, where they (the guitars) had become stars instead of the stars, Tom Verlaine
and Richard Lloyd use them like instruments again.
Supported by a bass player, Fred Smith, and a drummer, Billy Ficca who are
irreproachable.

Aggressiveness and frankness: because on disc, Television is less aggressive,
infinitely less destroy (english words in French, sigh) than it was, it appears, onstage.
On Marquee Moon  the same disillusioned romanticism, sometimes aggressive and sometimes
naive (candide-difficult to translate),that was inspired by the French poets of the end of the last century (Tom was not called Verlaine for nothing) and whoch also influenced the brother group, that of Patti Smith, prevails. Romanticism used throughout the eight titles which are only the variation of different length and pace of the same formula. Which
allows this disc to offer  Punk its greatest masterpiece, whatever side
of the Atlantic you consider.

See No Evil: the minimalistic and obsessive riff of "See No Evil" offers the
most obvious (immediate) track. Verse, refrain, melody.
Television rediscovers the simplest receipts of  pop genius, unfortunately
forgotten in the 70' S, until punk arrived. More fluid and lyric than
before, the guitars also take first seat on  "Venus" .
"Friction" is more direct and rock' N roll than its predecessor, with a
rhythmic guitar (rhythm guitar) at the front. An almost stonesy track in fact. Except
that the voice of Tom Verlaine systematically reaches a level of emotion
unknown to Mick Jagger. Television, contrary to their congeneric English
punks indeed never spit on the old Stones, at least never on the Stones in their prime.
And they did not hesitate to cover "Satisfaction" at the
time of their famous concerts.

Double riff: "Marquee Moon",the title track of the album, the most famous of
Television4s oeuvre, closes the first side. Nobody is likely to forget the interwoven riffs
on this memorable intro, which do not cease crossing during
the ten minutes of the track (they mean the riffs). In particular when the desperate and
vindicatory voice of Tom Verlaine yields to the long romantic
frescos of its guitar, sometimes weeping, though not (unsure of this),.
Without any of the other instruments ceasing to accompany it.

If, if and if: the second face is less agitated than the first. Even if it is a
funk gimmick  which introduces the slow "Elevation". If the refrain were less
rough, if Tom Verlaine did not have a tied throat, if if and if, one
would call it a slow fox trot. "Guiding Light" is even slower. The guitars,
even more clear, limpid and minimal are accompanied here occasionally by
a piano. The spleen of Television calms down. Also, emerging from this
depressive environment, "Prove it" it ...(not sure of this),
almost dancing.

Tears: end of side two, second long masterpiece. The piano and the guitar
of "Torn Curtain" have learnt from the best pieces of Lalo Schiffrin,
before leaving us with an asiatic minimalism, and the most concise, and
yet most lyric choruses of the album. One of these perfect endings which bless the masterpieces of Pop. And discourage the listener from  seeking harder (what?). For the
remainder of his career, indeed, with or without Television, Tom Verlaine
will alternate between the good and the bad , but without reaching, with sporadic
exceptions, the sublime of Marquee Moon .

A.S:

P.s: I4m away on tour with my band next week, so I won4t be able to check my mail...
Hope this wasn4t a waste of your time/space