(TV) Bowie's Cover of 'Kingdom Come' / Too much coffee?

>as I do about the cover of "Kingdom Come"---Woof!!!

Agreed.

No matter what you may think of Verlaine's
sometimes strangulated or adenoidal vocals (I have
found they've actually grown on me over the years),
there's certainly more passion in Verlaine singing just
his line: "I'm going up for a pardon. Well pardon me"
than in Bowie's emotionless falsetto on the cover
version.

And the differences in the guitar playing and the
arrangements on the two versions are striking:

Verlaine's initial rising and falling guitar riffs
together with Smith and Daugherty's bottom-end create
the musical analogue for the repetitive, Sisyphean,
desperate life of the chain gang.

But then near the song's end Verlaine switches to
more majestic chords that hint at the narrator's
transcending his grim earthly existence.

Although I am usually a big fan of and Alomar
and Fripp's guitar playing (and Visconti's
production), on the cover the guitars and melody
don't change much----they just keep chugging
along like a lumbering freight train.

Sorry, I've had too much coffee today.

Interestingly enough I just bought a used CD
of Scary Monsters yesterday to complement my LP
copy. I love this album, and don't get me wrong,
the Kingdom Come cover's serviceable enough--it's
just that that this cover could've/should've
been better--it doesn't come close to the original.

	Leo
PS: "One of his favorite devices is to use blue or modal
chords in the verse, then switch to triumphant major
chords for the chorus.."--- Village Voice