(TV) Television in London 1st night

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>

> (looks like Wednesday was the night to be there, then. Come on, Ray,
> back me up on this!)

here's my tuppence ha'penny worth

wed night was a hugely enjoyable experience for a number of reasons- for one
i'm just so happy that the band are continuing to tour / play live AND
retain their dignity AND debut
some great new material into the bargain- the new tune "i could sleep all
day" is wonderful and fits
seemlessly alongside the best material from the other TV records imho-
this gig had a totally different dynamic to last year's all the same, it was
less intense and Mr V
seemed a lot happier just to be there -i'd never seen him smile before (well
is there a photo out
there of mr V smiling?? i don't think so) - he genuinely seemed to be
lapping up the obvious
devotion,fandom and gen good will that the band enjoy here-saying that
however he seems to be
only running on about 60% of his potential whereas the other band members
are giving 100% every
time-Fred was as ever a rock,Billy is probably the most inventive drummer
i've ever seen
in the flesh and as for Richard's playing ...well what can i say ....i don't
wanna descend into cliche but he really is _criminally_ underrated-such a
mazzy
effortless style (sighs)

Verlaine was getting into the guitaring much more than last time but there
were some very self-
indulgent moments at times and a lack of true invention and spontaneity
perhaps howvever the evident good humour onstage balanced this triffle out

some stuff didn't work ( a friend of mine even sent me a text afterwards
slating the whole gig as "muso bollox"-like doh!!! )
some songs did go on too long mind or else the dynamic was totally
ruined -Marquee moon was a case in point- the ever longer drawn out ending
is now much much diminished and lacking in any real excitement -maybe
they're just sick of playing it-the majestic climax and thrill of the
recorded version was def left behind in NYC at least this time round

and i'd rather have had Fire engine instead of the half-hearted Pyschotic
reaction - middleaged well-adjusted menfolk knocking out this tune is about
as pyschotic as yer granddad showing you his false teeth

but these are very minor quibbles - overall i had a ball - i had the
very,very good fortune to be with Keef and his good lady in the front row ,
to meet Howard again (where's yer show report mucker btw?) and meet the
ebullient and wisecracking Dennis D from NYC who made the journey over once
more (what dedication to the cause that is!)

my only regret is that i wasn't able to go to the thursday night also due to
starting a new job which has turned my brain to jelly -there was an
aftershow pary which we had been invited to also-aaaarghhh ! when i look
back on this in the future i may well regret it even further but what's to
be done ? an honest crust has to be earned and starving children to be
fed..well okay the last bit is made up as my child won't be here for another
month.... but you get the gist

excuse the waffling on

wish you all had been there to enjoy the gig but hopefully one day/night
soon you'll be able to....

best   R.