Re: (TV) A Few details of Television on Left Coast?

in message <B967735A.C63%jpg55@attbi.com>,
Jeffrey Germaine <jpg55@attbi.com> wrote:
> No they played on 7/25 in Tokyo.

I'm sorry that I can't reply quickly, but to be exact,
they played Friday 7/26 in Naeba on the 1st day of Fuji Rock
Festival (26th-28th July). Naeba is a famous ski resort and
far from any primal Japanese city such as Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto.
I am living in Tokyo, and made a trip to see their show.

setlist:
Swells, 1880 or So, Venus, Call Mr Lee, Glory,
Little Johnny Jewel, See No Evil, Prove It, Marquee Moon

As reading reviews on this mailing list, I was looking foward
to hear O Mi Amore, Psychotic Reaction, new songs... but they
didn't play. It was a short program, for about an hour.

I don't know whether they had a reason of the festival's
timetable, but there was about an hour interval till the next
band's appearance, so I was dying to hear more.

But anyway the show was great. When I had seen their show 1992
reunion tour in Tokyo, I was a little disappointed, but this
time was far better. They performed very well in a gentle mood.
Tom's guitar sound was very beautiful, even tuning between songs.
Richard played great guitar solo on Venus etc. Tom did almost
no MC, but after 1880 or So, he spoke in Japanese "a-ri-ga-to"
(means "thank you").

At the show's beggining, "Swells" (I think it should be so,
so called in this list) went on over 5 minutes. Some phrases
seemed to me sounded like intro of "The End" by the Doors.

Before the show, Tom and Richard did setting and sound check
of their guitars and microphones by themself in audience
calling them out a cheer. Each of them brought a leather bag
to the stage besides their guitars and other equipments. I
could not see whether they opened and took up something from
the bags on the stage, so I wonder what was that...
(It may be ridiculous question.)

I could see Patti Smith was looking at their show from the
leftside of the stage, sometimes with hand crapping, or
shaking body calmly. Very nice scene!

Patti Smith had also came to perform at this festival. Her
band's appearance was twice, on the 1st day and the 2nd day.
There was a rumor of her secret performance of poetry reading,
but I don't know whether it would occur. I saw the 1st day's
show, including some poetry reading, a poem cotinued to the
song "Birdland", and Lenny Kaye's singing...
There were many big candles on the stage and they made a very
beautiful atmosphere. It may be rather more relax and intimate
style show than ordinary, but they also played famous numbers
such as "dancing barefoot", "because the night" etc.
The show went on a half and an hours.

At the festival, I also enjoyed the performance of Butthole
Surfers, Billy Bragg and The Blokes, The White Stripes,
the Sonic Youth Experimental Noise Improvisational, Gomez
Jane's Addiction, Spiritualized, and many other Japanese band.

                                             yoshi@jca.apc.org