From: "Dennis D" <dend@nyc.rr.com> Subject: Re: (TV) new here

I agree with Dennis almost entirely. But here's the deal:

All this talk about "great guitarists" and "punk" -

I've always thought about music in general as to what moved me, involved me, and most importantly what made me think. What made me consider my time and place (late 20th Century), my situation (friends, family, relationships, the way I've moved through life), and what made me jealous (God! I wish I could have made those noises...).

I was a music critic for Warner Bros. On-Line from 1996-1999 and I always wrote from the gut - tonight I saw Richard Thompson and he made me wish, today I was listening to Tom Verlaine and I wanted to take guitar lessons, this afternoon I heard a Flaming Lips song in a deli and it made me cry.

Music is relative, and I think that when we try to de-humanize it, we discredit it all.

Who am I to say that Johhny Marr is a better guitar player than Stevie Ray Vaughn? To you, to another human being that has that opinion?

Sure, I have my own benchmarks. But fuck it, it's not about "who's better" that ever engages me in a conversation - it's about what meant something to you. Then you get my attention. Plead your case, and you will be sure that I'll plead mine (Richard Hell is a wonderful human being, not a great bass player, but the perfect bass player for a little band in NYC in 1974...).

I think Pete Townshend circa 1967-1973 was untouchable, I say with bravado. Then someone reminds me of Hendrix, or Krieger, or the "guy from Genesis" - or fucking George Harrison...and I have to acquiesce...

All of that to say...Verlaine is my favorite guitarist of all time...but hey, that's why I lurk on this here list.

You know what I'm sayin'?

james