Re: (TV) (OT) Recomendations

At 8:15 PM -0400 8/20/02, Chris wrote:
 Love's
"You Set the Scene", Drake's "Fruit Tree", and the entire Feelies "Only Life"
in constant rotation.  But, I wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions
as to somethings of similar tone

Very sorry to hear about your friend, Chris. As for "similar," assuming you're getting a mournful yet healing quality from these songs, I've turned to these:

Although some on the list will disagree, I'll beat the drum for Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio's _3_, a stunning collection of songs of loss, weakness, strength, and healing. Kind of an alt-countryish/folkish flavor, with some elements that will remind you of Neil Young, perhaps. (Jay may back me up on this.)

For the past year I've found songs from the first two Band records (_Music from Big Pink_ and _The Band_) to be immensely healing.

Various of us may step forward to recommend the painful yet healing embrace of Neutral Milk Hotel's _In the Aeroplane over the Sea_, which is kind of like an acoustic open mic night with a junkyard apocalyptic Salvation Army band sitting in on some numbers. Another great one.

Depending on how down you're feeling, you may or may not want to check out Bonnie "Prince" Billy (Will Oldham)'s _I See a Darkness_, which has some really bleak songs, yet some rays of redemption on "Nomadic Revery (All Around)" (in a desperate way), the title track, "Another Day Full of Dread" (surprisingly), and "Raining in Darling."

I've also found myself greatly comforted by Dirty Three's _Whatever You Love, You Are_, exquisitely slow and occasionally exultant instrumental guitar, violin, and drum pieces.

Hope this helps,
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/