(TV) Mekons

GREAT!

Look at that  -
 Sunday, 22 September: Washington, DC Black Cat
I'm going to see the MEKONS!!!

I love this list.
 - H.

Didn't know there'd be such enthusiasm for the Mekes on this list. But since there is some, I'll mention that this is the Mekons' 25th anniversary, and in New York and Chicago (which is now home base for several Mekons) they will be playing three nights, with each night dedicated to a different segment of their career. I've already bought tix for the NY shows. (Quite a year for musical anniversaries: Not only do we have the Marquee Moon 25th, but it's also the 35th anniversary of Fairport Convention. I just got back last Saturday from England, where I attended Fairport's Cropredy festival and witnessed a reunion of all but one surviving member of their early lineups - including Richard Thompson - plus people subbing for the late Sandy Denny and Martin Lamble, playing tunes from their first three or four albums.)

And while I'm writing, I'll just put in a plug for a show in New York this weekend. My friend Emily is in a rather good Providence-based alt.country band, Barn Burning, and they're playing as part of a triple bill at Fez this Saturday, August 24. If anyone goes, I'd like to know what you thought.

- Jesse