(TV) Thanks for Feedback / Iggy + NY Dolls / Ratio=50 to 1

Hey Maurice, Keith , and Philip
(and other MM listers who may follow them?):

Thanks for your serious response and advice.
I won't play any Jandek until I expose her to
Iggy's "Search and Destroy"  or the NY Dolls
"Vietnamese Baby".

>I think there's more chance of connecting with someone who
>sees something as non-mainstream as Television in the same
>way as you do (if not quite as obsessively!)

Hey, I am not obsessive about this music!!  :>}

You know one of the great things about the MM List (of the any)
is that it provides/allows me a place where I can channel my passion
(ok, 'obsession') for this music without subjecting my close
friends to my at times arcane interest.

>I wouldn't make the mix-tape move until at least 2 months
>of steady dating.  Although, thinking back, the woman I
>wound-up marrying was probably the *only* girl I ever dated
>for whom I did *not* make a mix tape, yet she's the most
>musically open-minded and best dancer of the bunch.

Yeah, my plan was (and still is) to exert my willpower and
wait a month or two.

I've actually been relatively lucky in being in serious relationships
with women who were very open-minded about music they hadn't heard
before.

OTOH: a few have been real disasters, such as one girlfriend who
loved Leo Sayers and the music of that guy ??? O'Sullivan, who
had that horrible Top-ten hit "Alone Again, Naturally".

The Average White Band and 1980's Fleetwood Mac and
The Cocteau Twins (whom she dragged me to see live) were
favorites of another woman, but I suffered and
compromised for the sake of true love.

One woman fell asleep at a NY Dolls concert I took her to
in Boston as well as in a movie theater during a
showing of Martin Scorscee's [sp?] "Mean Streets" (even during the
early bar scene in which "Gimme Shelter" was playing on the
soundtrack!).

But two -Xs actually appreciated Television/Verlaine and would
come to Verlaine 1980's shows with me in NYC.

I am contemplating the idea of posting an essay (non humorous) on the topic
of what exactly it is about Tom Verlaine's music (and his songs in Television)
that  makes them unappealing to the mass audience (then [1970s-1980s] and now).

I've got about 5 reasons, but the above discussion makes me think there's a sixth:

the majority of women does not care for this kind of music--granted,
neither does the majority of the male mass audience---but I would
estimate for every 100 male Television/Verlaine fans
there are but 2-3 females who appreciate the music (or equivalently,
for every 1 billion male Television/Verlaine fans there are but
20-30 million females).  I make this claim/guess independent of
the past and current male/female ratio of the MM List itself.

  	Leo

"Politics is the art of compromise"----Anonymous