RE: (TV) Slightly Off Topic: Strange Request / On Topic: TV's Kidnapping & Withd

At 9:49 PM -0700 9/16/02, Brian Young wrote:
You are all making me want to hear Jandek.
Don't do it, H! Run in the opposite direction! His are the worst two albums in my collection!

No, Maurice- you can't have those 2 albums yet.  My tastes may yet change.

Well, damn. Still, if you decide you can live without them, you know where to find me. (Although this email address is likely to change in a couple weeks.)

Jandek's just reissued _Blue Corpse_ and _You Walk Alone_ on CD. For me, these are probably his most accessible and "tuneful" albums.

BC is very, well, "blue," for lack of a better term--lots of reverb, acoustic playing, songs of longing and betrayal, a cover of "House of the Rising Sun" that's been played on the Dr. Demento show, the epic "Only Lover," and the one solo harmonica tune where he screams...through the harmonica.

YWA is--surprise!--an electric outing with a "band," and is actually accessible (for Janky, that is). The pretty "Lavender" starts the disc, followed by the twisted blues of "Time and Space," and a lot of songs coming from some wholly "other" place. Imagine, oh, Crazy Horse with a head injury...on painkillers...in another dimension.

Yeah, he's released a lot of stuff, and I'm really falling behind, here.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/