Re: (TV) Slightly Off Topic: Strange Request / On Topic: TV's Kidnapping & Withdrawal / Romantic Advice for a Musical Maverick

> > >This brings up the whole subject for those on MM List who are/were
> married or are/were in a (serious) relationship:  having strong
preferences and
> > >great passion for music do/did you have to 'work extra hard' at not
offending your
> > >wives'/girlfriends' musical tastes, and what is the secret of getting
your beloved
> > >to put up with' your Television/TV predilections?

The secret? Long, unforced exposure over the years. I took my
then-GF/now-wife --whose primary musical reference points are Neil Young and
Duncan Sheik, god love her -- to see Tom in 1987 at the Ritz, and she spent
the entire time yapping with a friend. I retain a prized boot of the concert
that I play often, and it never rang any particular bells with her. Then I
took her this spring to see both TV shows at Irving Plaza, and her jaw hit
the floor. She hasn't stopped playing the catalogue since. (Now it's my
daughters getting annoyed -- but give them another 13 years and they'll be
on board too).

So either my wife just needed time to absorb it, or she was a closet Richard
Lloyd freak all this time.

Ty
"Not all of us became ghosts or bastards." -- Vivian Darkbloom