RE: (TV) My conclusion on the TOM VERLAINE remaster...

Philip,

You are definitely the man!

I certainly realize that not everyone who subscribes to the MM List
cares as passionately about the various versions of TV's first solo album,
but I really appreciate the time, serious listening, hypotheses that you
have put into this and I especially appreciate your written descriptions.
("God is in the details.")

Murray said:
>I think its a good thing that there is 'other' versions of the album out
there, and anyway, whats the 'real' mix ?

I agree.
My main objection is not that a decision has been made by
Collector's Choice or Rhino or TV to release alternate versions or mixes
---that's always intriguing and fun and-----but I would've really
preferred to have an opportunity to purchase *in addition* a cd version
of Tom's 1st solo album (which had the *Bob Clearmountain mix [or close to it]*
and which IMHO has the greatest Verlaine playing and songwriting ever)
remastered from original analogue tapes to sound "best" aka most natural for
the digital cd medium/format unlike the just passable 1995[?]
German/Japanese cd (which also contains the B. Clearwater mix).

If the record company wants to release alternate takes/mixes that's great,
and I'll buy them , but please give me the chance to get a well made cd of
the original mix too --yeah I realize this will never happen.

That said, I find that if I listen in my car to a cassette I made Sat. AM of the
Collector's choice version, it doesn't sound so bad.  And I encourage everyone
to buy a copy of the Collector's Choice cd---I'd have to admit, in summary, that
my proposal of 'desecration' was too extreme.

	Leo (who will listen some more)

PS: Still don't think the 'EQ or whatever they did' to same guitar track on
"Breakin In My Heart " sounds as good/'right'.