RE: (TV) My conclusion on the TOM VERLAINE remaster...

Hi Leo,

I am somewhat surprised more people on this list don't seem to be annoyed by
the decision to secretly substitute a whole new mix on the remaster. You don't
need to be a purist to notice the differences in this alternate mix, or to be
annoyed (as a consumer) to have bought something purposefully, only to have it
turn out to be not what you expected. Just imagine if they had done something
like this to MARQUEE MOON.

I sent an email to Collector's Choice, with the following body:
"Hi Collector's Choice,

I just got your reissues of Richard Lloyd's ALCHEMY and Tom Verlaine's debut.
The former sounds perfect. But the latter seems to be using the wrong mix for
the entire CD. In fact, the mix sounds a lot like an early/rejected version of
the album that circulates among collectors as THE LOST MIX.

I find no reference in the liner notes of TOM VERLAINE to this change, so I'm
wondering if it was intentionally done, or accidental?"

We'll see what they say, if anything... I would bet money their response will
be something enigmatic like, "We used the tapes Tom Verlaine delivered." I'm
also planning to knock out a letter to ICE Magazine's "CD Watchdog", which is
generally pretty good at following up cases like this.

--Philip