Re: (TV) (OT) Fast 'N Bulbous

Gary Lucas is also about to put out an album of unreleased material he
recorded with Jeff Buckley, before Jeff Buckley was famous.
I listened to some of it -- it doesn't do a lot for me, but then, not
much of Buckley's stuff does. I like Lucas's guitar playing though.
Sam

OwenGwilliam@cs.com wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Way off topic, but I seem to remember that there were a few Beefheart fans on
> the list.
>
> Sunday night I caught "Fast 'N Bulbous: The Captain Beefheart Project" in
> Columbus. Very cool show. It's former Magic Band guitarist Gary Lucas with a
> bassist, drummer and horn section.
>
> First half of the show is Lucas showing a collection of rare-ish Beefheart
> clips, and the second half is an instrumental run thorugh a dozen or so
> Beefheart numbers (largely from TROUT MASK REPLICA) done very well. Yeah, not
> having that voice does hurt it, but it works better than I could've figured.
>
> Certainly worth a night out if it comes to your town. It was described as "a
> work in progress", so it looks like they're learning to expand the set list.
>
>        -- Owen
>
> Owen Gwilliam
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg
> http://shadowy.brainiac.com (The Shadowy Site On A Shadowy Web)
>
> "Thank you for coming to the concert ... you don't call, you don't write, but
> you look good ..."
>     -- Tom Waits addressing the crowd at a 1999 Vancouver concert

Sam Inglis
Features Editor,
Sound On Sound Magazine.
Tel +44 (0)1954 789888.