(TV) The Waitresses / Irony / Letterman

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Simpson
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 11:46 AM
To: 'tv@obbard.com'
Subject: (TV) Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?

>I guess that's the only way to explain how Mr. Ficca's 80's project, the
Waitresses, still don't have the recognition they deserve.

This isn't that important a point, but weren't The Waitresses more of
Butler's project/baby than Ficca's?

I saw the Waitresses in 1979-81 at a bar in Brighton/Allston
(Massachusetts) named Streets .

They were indeed fantastic and ahead of the times,
(but do you know if Ficca would've been the drummer in 79-81 ?)

There was this woman Lynn L. who worked nights at the
Brattle Theater with me and on whom I had a terrible,
crush. She was a real tease, so I gave her The
Waitresses' (Patti Donohue lead singing?) 45 rpm single
"I Know What Boys Like" , but was depressed when she left
it unplayed at the theater ticket booth.

>Michael Moore said that Americans are the only people
who don't get irony.

Remember shortly after Sept 11, 2001 the spin doctors were all predicting
that it would be the end of 'irony' in America/Europe
[and also the end of Hollywood movies that depicted/exploited violence vividly]?

I like and respect Michael Moore, but unless Moore was referring to the 'tyranny of
the majority's' influence on American culture, I'd have to disagree. David
Letterman been a relatively big commercial success on American
TV [including many Emmys---for whatever they're worth]
by mining 'Irony' since the early 1980s to the present.

	Leo (still have the 45 somewhere)