(TV) Tom Verlaine

My Tom Verlaine CD from Collector's Choice came today. FIrst I read
Tom's liner notes: Hilarious, profound, paradoxical, touching. Keep in
mind I'm not the most objective person to be "critiquing" this CD but I
see what you mean when you say it sounds like the wrong mix. Wrong is
Right. This mix redefines distortion. He wants to hurt my ears until I
scream for mercy. That is pure Tom. He is the violent disobedient boy
who crashes his hands across the piano keys to shock and annoy. And they
say he's not punk! This is the right mix in many ways, even if it might
sound like a mistake. The flashing screeching aural lights painfully
blind. It sounds like something's wrong because something's wrong. Yonki
Time is running fast now, as is Flash Lightning. He's saying he's even
more frantic now than he was back then. I believe it. "A woman
approached me on the A train and asked me if there were sounds on that
song only a dog could hear. I told her there was no dog whistle or
subliminal junk." Yeah, right. Tom just doesn't want us to know there's
subliminal junk. Actually it's not junk.There are beautiful subliminal
messages, and some not so subliminal. "Maybe they are all pledges of
love however convoluted they might turn out." That says it all. This has
always been my favorite album and it still is. It's fantastic. I love
it.