Re: (TV) collector's choice mix

--- OwenGwilliam@cs.com wrote:
> I would like to think that Collector's Choice wouldn't just take a tape, burn
> CDs and distribute without actually *listening* to it once. My hunch is that
> they heard what they heard and shipped it ... implying that they don't
> realize there is a difference.

Yeah, I suspect this is what happened. But of course, far worse stuff happens
in the CD world, and labels do screw-up and include the wrong mixes, tracks,
and even artists(!) on CDs. ICE's CD Watchdog documents stuff like this every
month. In this case, it's easy to see how CC may not have noticed the
difference - the two mixes at least have the same songs, and some of the tracks
aren't recognizably different (at least in the first few bars).

As someone else here pointed out, if WEA sent them a tape and labeled it
"master", why would CC second-guess them? If TOM VERLAINE underwent multiple
mixes before release, it's quite possible that there are several tapes marked
"master" floating around Elektra's vaults.

Hey, it's even possible they never even listened to the finished product
(although this seems unlikely). I'm still incredibly annoyed about the
unintentional fade-out at the end of Phil Manzanera's 801 LIVE reissue that
came out a few years ago - it's proof that NO-one ever listened to the
"remastered" version in its entirety before releasing it.

--Philip