(TV) That Television guitar sound

Normally i'm a lurker but i've crawled out from under
my stone to ask a few questions of the list and it's
hallowed members -

*The "Barbed wire guitar sound" - what is it and where
are there specific examples of it? I know some songs
where i think i'm hearing double tracked guitars, one
clean and one distorted - is this the sound? Any tips?
Amp Slaving the answer (hope not)

I have recently started recording using a particularly
bitchin' PC set up (I have surrendered to the machines
for the purposes of recording a demo but -)

*For quality reel to reel home recording does anybody
have any tips? Products to look for etc? Want to
record an analogue master for a record in the new year
but don't know where to start.

*Anybody seen the "Old grey whistle test" TV
performance (Foxhole) - I seen a DVD in HMV that had
40 performances from it (some looked OK) but no TV,
alas! What's it like?

=====