Re: (TV) That Television guitar sound

I don't know as much about analogue reel-to-reel recording as I should,
and I have long since succumbed to the lure of Pro Tools, but here's
what little I recall:

* For multitrack recording, you'll probably get better results from a
half-inch or one-inch machine than from a quarter-inch. And you won't
get good results from a cassette four-track.

* You'll need a mixer and a loom.

* With analogue tape, maintenance and line-up are crucial. If you buy a
machine second-hand (which it almost certainly will be) make sure you
test it thoroughly and there isn't too much wear on the head block, etc.
Lining up a tape machine requires the use of special tapes, so make sure
these are supplied if possible and that the previous owner shows you how
to do it (if you don't know).

* If you're doing any sequenced stuff, you'll need to be able to sync
the recorder to your sequencer, which may require additional hardware.
And if you plan on recording yourself, it's handy to have a footswitch
to do drop-ins.

There's probably loads more to be said, but...