Re: (TV) $1,000,000,000

> --- robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > you would
> > have to be pliable and soul-less.  and of course
> > photo-ready.
>
> You would also have to be willing to sign to a label, tour extensively, give
> interviews, make videos, put out records more frequently than once every 14
> years, etc. These are all things Television has never been inclined to do.
>
> --Philip

Excellent points.  But it takes $$$ to make a decent video (particularly
in the days of before cheap vidcams and editing software.) Does anyone
know if any label ever offered to make a video for Television?

Anyway, it all comes back to the music.  No label will invest a lot in
promoting music it thinks will only appeal to a narrow audience.  I don't
think Clear Channel has a lot of stations that target the "aging urban
guitar player" demographic. ;-)

Uh, not to be rude, but if you want to be commercially successful, it helps
to write an occasional melody that people can sing.  Anyone here want to
give an a capella performance of a Television song (sorry--no air guitar)?
Which song would that be?  Wanna try Marquee Moon?

Not that melody is all that important--it's primitive really--but it is
important if you want to be  popular.  (On the other hand, rap music somehow
manages to bludgeon its way to commercial success without a trace of melody
or any redeeming social value. Just goes to show how image sells, I guess.)

Mark Ryan