Re: (TV) $1,000,000,000

> For wonderfully insightful (yet very sarcastic) commentary on this mind set
> go to a page on my website
> (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg/fz.htm). It's a transcript of a
> speech Frank Zappa made, excerpted from "The Real Frank Zappa Book".
>
> Owen Gwilliam

Awesome.  Loved Zappa's comment about playing the electric guitar as the
ultimate gaff in "serious" music circles.  (Yup--the electric guitar refuses
to have just one timbre and know its place in the back of the bus like a
good little orchestra instrument.)

If Britney Spears and New Music are the two extremes of totally commercial
and totally non-commercial music,  then notice how the latter just substitutes
tenure for tender.  It is still all about conformity and getting ahead.

Personally, I find the academic kind even more distasteful that Ms. Spears
and her ilk.  As Henry Kissinger (an expert on bureaucratic evil if ever
there was one) once observed, academic battles are so bitter precisely
because so little is at stake.  That explains why academic music battles are
the bitterest of all.  (Check out the micro-tuning group sometime for
incessant bickering over musical minutiae.)  Besides, Britney's more fun
to watch...

Mark Ryan