(TV) Song Composing: Verlaine's Modus Operandi / TV on Public Taste

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark G. Ryan
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 6:38 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) a capella?

>Or maybe he just writes the songs starting
>out with guitar riffs...I dunno.

>From the interviews I've read over the years, I
recall Verlaine saying he composes both ways,
sometimes making use of fragments of phrases
 that he has written down in notebook and
become the genesis of a song (sometimes years
after the fact (i.e., lyrics come 1st),
and other times he'll have some guitar melody
or riff that he's 'saved' in his head and it
later becomes a song--I believe "Bomb" was created
this way.  [by the way how about a less melodic
pop/top-40 oriented TV song
than "Bomb"? Maybe "The Rocket" or Mars" ]

Can anyone recall the specific interviews
that I'm referring to above (they're all on
Keith's Press section of The Wonder)?

>Public taste just needs to get educated
>not to expect a sing-along.

"There are always those people with no sense of aesthetics.
They may be in the majority now. I'm wondering about that.
*But it seems to me that there's always room for something
different. Something new. Sooner or later, people will hear it.*
In this country it's all radio. . . ."  (Tom Verlaine, Guitar World,
November 1981)

Alas, the last 21 years make his above comment between *  * seem
a little naive or overly optimistic.