(TV) 3 Oct. 1998 The Bowery Shows vs. Music for Film Project / Maurice

I've listened to the 3 Oct. 1998 shows and tried to compare their songs
 to the later Music for Film Project that began in Oct 1999.

I was planning on doing a more thorough analysis
and write-up but I don't have the time (been neglecting
my job to send a billion[?] posts to MM list recently
plus Discography stuff for Keith, plus overwhelmed with
frozen/burst pipes in my laundry room).

I'm hoping that Maurice, who is intimately familar
with he Music for Film 'tunes' can write the
definitive, detailed comparison of which particular
tracks of the Bowery Ballroom shows closely match
which tracks of the Music for Film project.
Maurice don't worry-- I know you're extremely busy
with other stuff yourself---maybe you could post
something in two months or so?

My brief conclusions--I believe that Steve Rovner
was absolutely right, 90% of this closely matches
tunes TV later did/used for his Music for Film project
(albeit tunes are sometimes shorter than the later
Film stuff);  the other 10-15% is fantastic stuff too.

This may seem strange but I find these Bowery Ballroom
show tunes looser [in a good way] and thus for me
'superior' to the recordings of the Music for Film
programs that I'd previously heard. Also, the audio
quality and the emotion and inventiveness of Tom's
playing are stupendous.

Granted, playing along to a silent film involves
more limits and forced structure than playing at
The Bowery, and the combination/synergy of film
imagery and Verlaine's guitar when seeing a Music
for Film performance live is obviously more powerful
than just these nascent tunes themselves.

	Leo