(TV) ICE Magazine CD Watchdog - Phil Obbard makes the news...

"Steve Rovner" <serovner@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I just received the February issue of ICE Magazine, and Mr. Obbard has
> made the news in the CD Watchdog Column: WRONG TELEVISION SIGNAL. Phil
> Obbard of Brooklyn, NY e-mails in, "I just picked up Collectors' Choice
> CD reissues of Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd's respective solo debut
> Lloyd's Alchemy sounds fantastic, and it's great to finally see it on CD.

Second that. Collectors Choice did a great job on Alchemy.
Anybody that hasn't bought a copy yet really should consider it.

> [snip]
> Manager Gordon Anderson, who tells ICE that it was indeed a mistake - and
> a bit of a mystery. [snip]
> "So, we've re-done it, and we will accept returns if people
> want to exchange it - although maybe they'll want to keep it as an
> alternate-mix collector's item."

So another Tom Verlaine collector's rarity slouches towards Bethlehem
to be born.  A kudos to Phil Obbard for catching this one before more
anarchy was loosed upon the world.

Poor Tom Verlaine--his luck with record companies is like Johnny Carson's
luck with wives.   A lighting rod for every kind of trouble that record
company indifference and incompetence can bestow.

Guess Collector's Choice can't be blamed for Electra's screw up, but if
you were going to reissue an LP on CD for somebody as well known as
Tom Verlaine, wouldn't you at least give the LP a listen?   Some things
about the music business are truly mind-boggling.

Mark