Re: (TV) Telling a Vision

I'll wager a guess...let's not forget what the original line-up of Television
was mainly about: a weird, arty stripped down rock band featuring a guitarist
and a bassist who were both into poetry and stuck lots of double-entendres
and other mildly-clever things into the lyrics. Hell's vision of the band was
based partly on having a ragged, rough, mildly cathartic, mildly
humourous-yet-intense visual slant. With the actual medium of television
being kinda ragged and crappy, sometimes violent, sometimes funny, and
constant flux in terms of not only what's being seen and heard, but also an
inconsistency in quality of the transmission itself (due to most people still
getting signals via antenna at the time). Take all those ideas and put them
right up against what the band was about, what the band sounded like at that
time, and I think it makes perfect sense. Sure, it didn't make any by the
time Hell left and Smith came in, and their sound changed pretty drastically,
but considering that they started to get noticed w/ Hell and then he left
AFTER Verlaine pushed out his material and made himself the songwriter of the
band, but the rest of the personnel remained the same...I'd guess they
probably didn't even think twice about changing it. Not to mention that there
may have been contractual stipulations with Terry Ork, at least as far as the
band as an entity for manegerial/biz purposes was concerned (just a
guess...anyone know for sure?). But yeah, initially, it did indeed make
sense.

-nick keiser