(TV) Leo's Gotta fess-up! You win

Hey, everyone, I gotta fess-up.

I thought I'd *try to* have a little fun at Mark's and Jesse's
expense in one of my previous e-mails.

A couple of the interview quotes I gave therein we're incomplete;
the complete quotes sometimes show that Mark and Jesse
are a lot more than half-right.

(I believe that for a person to be considered intellectually honest,
he/she  must accept what the evidence reveals or leads to, no
matter how unappealing the conclusion, or how much he/she
may wish it wasn't so).

Some complete quotes:

TELEVISION
The Great Lost Band Finds Itself
Source: Musician Magazine, September, 1992
by Scott Isler
Despite a forbidding image, Verlaine has consistently championed
one of music's most consumer-friendly elements: melody. "It's odd,"
he muses, "that in the 80's melody, more than ever, should have
gone out the window. Not to say that we're writing great melodies;
we're probably part of the aspect of modern life that has to do with
the absence of melody. In the '40s you had a melody that would float.
On this record that's definitely true of some of the guitar things
I'm doing. I have no interest in going whacko-whammo with another
guitar solo. It's more, 'develop something that stays with the heart
of a song.' ***"I don't think I've written any melodies as good as
most TV show themes in the '50s."***

TV RERUN Source: The Bob (Spring 1993)
by Pat Grandjean
PAT GRANDJEAN WATCHES TELEVISION
Verlaine: The song "Rhyme" was a rehearsal tape I found where we're
just playing something for 20 minutes. I took the best bits out of that.
For instance; Richard was playing this melody-he played it once and
never played it again, but we took that **little** melody and
made it into a part. I just arranged these pieces into a format,
or a song.
The Bob: Can we talk about some of the people whose
technique you admire?
Verlaine: That's what I'm trying to say-I don't know if it's technique.
You know what I mean? There's an old TV show called "Mr Lucky".
Henry Mancini wrote this melody, and I heard this somewhere;
and I found a record with it and listened to it and thought,
"Christ, what a melody. Nobody writes a melody like this anymore."
*****A lot of people would say that's good 'cause they can't stand that
kind of thing.  But I picked up a piece of sheet music and looked at it,
and it was just making all these little moves that I never would have
dreamed up in a million years. That kind of melody just doesn't
come to me, so somehow I have an admiration for it. *****
But Mancini, who wrote that melody-maybe it just came to him, or
maybe he just noodle on a piano until he found something.
Who knows? I don't know how he found it.

The Bob: I read that you said you didn't think you had written
any melodies as good as most 1950s TV show themes.
****Verlaine: Yeah! I'd say that's true.**** These things are extremely
strange and memorable somehow. They're all so rhythmically weird.
Maybe because none of these people were writing to rock beats,
they were strictly concentrating on melody-they weren't working
against a boom-chick, 2/4 beat. Even in the late '50s, rock music
was just thought of as total trash by anyone who was schooled.

The Bob: Of course, one quality common to all your albums is t
he conversational quality of the guitars-they're like voices
as opposed to instruments. Is that something that developed
deliberately?
**Verlaine: Well, for myself, less and less. I like chords.**
So maybe on my last three solo records, the chords as chords
start to disappear, and what happens is you get little
parts-sometimes they're awash behind the vocal, but other
times they're in and out of the vocal part-it's like a
different kind of accompaniment, for lack of a better word.

Musician Magazine 1987
By Scott Isler
Musician: By "work" do you mean practicing guitar?
Verlaine: I never practice. I just sort of doodle around, like somebody
with a sketchpad. Sometimes I run a cassette recorder and maybe
listen to it, maybe never listen to it again. There really isn't any pattern
for how these things work. Some songs are written in 10 minutes.
Sometimes I'll build a whole song around a bass line.
**Often the melody is just two sentences and that becomes
the germ of a song.**
Musician: What's your modus operandi? Do you have a
preferred method for constructing a song?
Verlaine: It's real different. This "Cry Mercy" song had a title and I
also had a guitar part lying around for years, which I never thought
of making into a chorus. Then I just whacked it on top....
*****Three songs--"The Scientist Writes a Letter," "One Time at
Sundown," and "Song"--have much longer melody structures than
I'd been working with.***** The melodies tend to go on; instead
of a series of riffs and an almost shouted vocal, they have a line
that weaves along much longer phrases. I really like this. I
don't know where it comes from.
	Leo