(TV) Dangers of conformity

The discussion of band names reminds me how much I miss the
punk names: Dead Kennedies, Angry Samoans, and the legendary (and
short-lived) Exploding Mountbattens.

Seems like is way too much conformity in music and everything else
these days.   Here's a great quote:

	"Our dangers are not from the outrageous, but from the
	 conforming."
			-- Judge Learned Hand

I mentioned a case this guy decided in another post.  Usually described
as "the greatest US judge never to sit on the Supreme Court", he served
for 52 years and died in 1961.  Now hardly anyone remembers him except
lawyers.

I suppose this is because nowadays our heros have to be (1) rich and/or
(2) beautiful or (3) serve as figureheads for some interest group that
need placating.  Guess that let's out people like George Marshall and
Eleanor Roosevelt.  Besides, they weren't even "hip" or "cool".

In the case of musicians, to acquire legitimacy they have to have had
bunch of platinum records. It also helps to die young or have a film
career.  Otherwise, it's off to "cult figure" marginalization land.

"If Mozart was so great, how come he isn't a millionare and he never
appears on Jay Leno?"  That seems to be how the public thinks.  Obviously
Bill Gates must be a genious, because he's rich, right?  And so on.

	There's soemthing happening here,
	What it is ain't exactly clear.

		The Buffalo Springfield, "For What It's Worth"
Mark