RE: (TV) Repeated but key interview

He's also mentioned Eric Dolphy, as well as
Ornette Coleman's and Miles Davis's music
as influences.

From: Musician, Player and Listener, November 1979
issue (#21) by Chip Stern

TV: "There's a theory about the voice, how you voice
the guitar, how you bring out that note" Verlaine mused,
thoughtfully choosing every word. "An instrument is a
voice- an extension of your inner self. There's a real
voice inside an instrument that you can bring out.
You know, I listen to a lot of saxophone players and
cellists. If you listen to someone like Pablo Casals
you realize that he knows how to breathe with the
instrument, which is the necessity of the horn, and
that might have something to do with the way I approach
the guitar- putting something out on your breath instead
of going whango and pouring out a million notes.

I played saxophone for two years- not very well- and
that might have something to do with the way I play
guitar. I don't really think that my guitar
playing is that different from a lot of other
people, either".

"It is, really," I countered.

"Yeah, that's what people say."

Perhaps the reason Verlaine is hearing something
else is that as a youngster growing up in
Wilmington, Delaware he was attracted
to an unusual variety of musics.

"I like weird sounds, you know." Verlaine said
with a twinkle in his eye. "I'm a great lover
of weird sounds, the weirder the better. As a kid
I liked classical music a lot, then around 1961
or so I had this friend who had a bunch of jazz
records, and I remember that I really fell in love
with jazz. The first guy I really loved was
Roland Kirk, especially the early things with
Jack McDuff and Horace Parlan. Then around
'64 or '65 I saw these ESP records advertised
in down beat and I thought 'gee these things
look great'. So when my mother asked me what
I wanted for Christmas I said all I wanted
were these ten ESP records. Well, she didn't
know what they were, so Christmas day I started
blasting these Albert Ayler records on my father's
stereo, and they couldn't believe it- it was
really hilarious. Albert Ayler was the greatest
thing I'd ever heard, I couldn't get over it.
And my parents said 'do you think you could wait
a few days before you play those records again.'
I listened to the early Ornette Coleman Atlantics
a lot, too. I particularly liked his drummer
Eddie Blackwell. The way he tuned his drums
you could tell he was really in the sound of
the drums; some of those solos he took on Ornette,
God, they were great. I also loved Coltrane and
Eric Dolphy- I still love them. The only trumpet
player I really liked was Miles Davis.

Miles in another one of those musicians who knows
how to voice an instrument so it's coming from the
whole person and not just one part."

So how did rock and roll come into all this?

"My brother was buying Motown records and I
really liked the way they sounded. Then he
got "All of the Day, And All of the Night"
by the Kinks and "19th Nervous Breakdown"
by the Rolling Stones, and those were the
songs that really get me in terms of rock.
It was a super kind of aggressive quality
in those records- not a macho aggressiveness
or any stupid stuff- just a real push, a real
drive. I also loved the Byrds and Love.
The Byrds just had such a sound.

The Band did some nice things, too. Robbie
Robertson is really a special guitarist.
Cream and Hendrix were great; Cream just
had such incredible energy; I tried to
play some of the things off of Hendrix's
records and I'd get so frustrated because
I didn't realize they were overdubbing.
There were a lot of things I listened to,
but so-called pop music never killed me,
you know, the type of stuff that always
seems to make it on the radio. The whole
radio thing seems so...it's like they've
accepted the whole "new wave" thing
only because this kind of pop element
came into it. In Europe they really
love emotion, but here it's like 'let's
stay away from it because we might cry
or something.'"

"Hearing Verlaine's solo on "Marquee Moon" grow
from the recorded version to his expansive
improvisations at the Bottom Line, I had
the sensation of watching someone learn
how to talk. His lines had an effortless,
unhurried sense of floatation- a sweet
vocal quality to every note-yet there
was something unbearably urgent about his
improvisation. Slowly, methodically, he
built bird-like flutters, church-bell
hammerings, wrong-is-right vibratoeffects
and singing distortion tones to an elliptical,
double-timed climax, rapidly cross-picking
notes so that his lines seemed to be going
in two directions at once- like John Coltrane.

Certainly Verlaine doesn't have the rhythmic
sophistication or cascading techniques of Coltrane,
and many of my rock-inclined friends derisively
compare Verlaine's achievements to the more
quantitative rave-ups of their favorite guitarists.
All I can say is, that for my tastes, Verlaine is
among the most natural melodic guitarists you're
likely to hear- his syllables are more interesting
than other players paragraphs.