(TV) 'Correct' Collector's Choice Verlaine Solo Debut: More than

"Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV>:

> I am 99.44% sure that there is no way to tell the
> two versions of this cd apart by simply looking
> for a difference in the Catalogue numbers.

Amazing.  Comments:

1.How hard would it have been to put a sticker that says "New Issue!"
  on the jewel case?  (It might even help stores sales, if CC distributes
  to any stores.).  Seems like a lot of the new CDs I buy have some damn
  sticker or other on the jewel case.  It wouldn't have cost much. But no.

2.This means that CC cannot even sort out its own stock if it gets
  mixed, except by the label on the carton that comes back from the
  presser.  Yikes!

3.Not only that, now they couldn't recall the wrong CDs from stores
  even if they wanted to, or if they were required to by a court.
  (I cynically suspect this is one reason they did it this way.)

4. CDs cost little to press, so even if CC were to destroy a bunch,
   they wouldn't be out much.  Besides, they have the nerve to sell
   the damn thing for US$13.00.

5.I wonder if the result would be any different at a classical label, say
  Deutche Grammophone or Denon, or a jazz label like Blue Note or Verve?
  I'm afraid the music industry regards the pop audience is deemed to be
  just a bunch of stupid kids.

6.Imagine if the book publishing industry ran this way, say, Scribners
  publishing the wrong draft of "The Great Gatsby", then reprinting a
  new edition with the same publication data.  Never in a million years!
  In book publishing there is something called an editor, which is supposed
  (in theory) to have something called integrity.  And the better imprints
  still do.

7.Finally, changing the edition without changing the publication data
  makes life difficult for librarians, collectors, and anyone trying
  to study or write about pop music.   Does CC realize they are part
  of the forces of entropy, setting back knowledge and learning and
  advancing the cause of ignorance and confusion?  "Collectors Choice"?
  Baloney!

Anecdote:

I know things like this do happen in the part of the record biz that
specifically sells to libraries.  One time I bought a LP of readings
of poems by W.B. Yeats.  It included a talk that Yeat's gave on
the BBC.  Apparently the talk had been recorded on two tapes (or wire
spools?), because the second half of the talk came first on the record,
rendering it nonsensical.   The company wouldn't do anything about it
until I threatened to contact the BBC and the poet's estate.

I was reminded of this, from "Nineteen Hundred and Nineteen":

	Many ingenious lovely things are gone
	That seemed sheer miracle to the multitude,
	Protected from the circle of the moon
	That pitches common things about. There stood
	Amid the ornamental bronze and stone
	An ancient image made of olive wood--
	And gone are Phidias's famous ivories
	And all the golden grasshoppers and bees.

In my letter, I compared the record company to those who would:

	...burn that stump on the Acropolis,
	Or break in bits the famous ivories,
	Or traffic in the grasshoppers and bees.

They sent me a letter saying they would destroy the defective LPs,
but of course I have no way to know if they actually did so or just
sold them to unsuspecting libraries.

Mark