RE: (TV) Verlaine guitar / "The Red Violin"

Thanks, Leo.  This information will be invaluable in
making my bogus copies.  Watch for them on Ebay!  ;-)

Of course, any good swindler would look up these
models in the standard reference books on Fender,
just to verify the features and to get a plausible
serial number.

My book says that the bridge is similar on both models
except the Jaguar bridge lacks the mute.  Many
people replace this bridge with a modern one that
lets you adjust the intonation more precisely.
Some people also replace the pickups.  Any Jazzmaster
owners out there care to comment?  Anyone know if
Verlaine done any upgrades, other than the pickguard?

Also, there's the infamous spring-lock vibrato
tailpeice that causes fits when strings slip out.
Not something you'd like to have unless you really
use it a lot and want the smooth vibrato.

Which makes me wonder: does Verlaine leave the
trem lock button down all/most of the time?

An interesting article on other recordings where
the Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar were used, with
pictures of album covers (including Marquee Moon):

http://www.adriondackguitar.com/fender/electronicguitars/FenMen/Jazz-Jag.htm

Jazzmaster wiring:

http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/misc/schematics/jazzmaster.htm

BTW, which strings do I put on my fake: Ernie Bell or Gretch?

Cheers,

Mark